Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Can't leave well enough alone (yoyo embellished dress)

Ah... I bought this dress at "Tar-jeh" (Target) a few months ago. Fell in love with the almost drab grey and bought it in a Large, since it was the last one. Oh no! I wore it out on a date with J, hoping he'd find me smokin' (in a 50s kind of way). Hmrph... The dress was too big and slipped off my shoulders all night and J said he'd like it better with some embellishment. "too plain for you". He knows my style well.
I trust him and we usually agree.
So its been in the project pile all summer. Tonight, I decided to fix it. I shortened the sleeve circumference and added a whole mess of yoyos (I know, the yoyo police are going to come soon and take me away for overkill.) I love yoyos, though, and shamelessly used my favorites
all over this dress.
I asked J his opinion on the ribbon belt. He disagrees with my choice of the 2" satin; voted for the 7/8" grosgrain, but here we are. Can you believe I have such a tolerant husband? Seriously! I'm blessed and lucky.
And this dress is perfect for church tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Tori Higa said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Michelle said...

im sorry, but what are yoyos? im guessing you do not mean the toy type right? haha. i love your dress, it is perfet!

libbydibby said...

Hi Michelle.
Sorry to be so long at getting back to you..

Yoyos were made in the 30s and 40s when seamstresses and quilters wanted to use the last of their scraps... My grandmother taught me how to make them when I was little - Heather Bailey has a tutorial here (http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/photos/how_to_make_a_yoyo/hbyoyotutorial1.html)

I inherited a bunch from my hubby's grandmothers and have just loved the history of vintage yoyos - especially ones that are made in the amazing vintage fabrics. You can find great lots of them on ebay, too... if you don't have any from grandmas!

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails