Friday, April 9, 2010

Socialite Dress

This week's project was Anna Maria Horner's Socialite Dress. Tif came over and we worked on them together, making the major mistakes on mine and then doing hers. =) We both finished ours yesterday and were planning on wearing them today, I told her she should not plan on running into me, we'll look ridiculous!
We used the measurements on her website for not just the finished garment size, but the actual body size (which isn't mentioned on the pattern itself) and both of us opted for the Large. I used a heavyweight Amy Butler fabric and found it doesn't look good belted as I'd planned to wear it. Tif's is a lighter weight fabric and she found a belt she's happy wearing with it. At first, though I enjoyed most of the sewing part (didn't like doing the rather fussy neckline), I didn't like the fit at first - so I cheated and cut two inches out of the back of the dress around 11pm last night. I like it now.
A highlight is that the dress has pockets - which I've never sewn before and rather enjoy having on the dress.
I also had intended to make it longer but spent some time on Flickr last night looking at other people's versions of the dress and figured that it looked less like a housedress when it was shorter and cuter.
These pics were taken by my 4 and 5 year olds. Not too bad after a little editing.



Related Posts with Thumbnails