Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Yolanda's healing quilt

When we heard Yolanda was sick, we decided the best thing a bee could do was to assemble a quilt for our hurting member. Yolanda had liked and requested a personalized copy of a computer art piece I'd made for myself recently, so we decided to include it as a focus piece. We got the collage printed on fabric at www.spoonflower.com and also tracked down Yolanda's favorite "Livingston seagull" fabric (the last two fat quarters on the Internet!).
Using the gray and white and turquoise colors from those pieces and some bright purple to make it really happy, we all made oversized mod mosaic blocks for her. Lori assembled the top and we were able to get our hands on Robert Kaufman's new line of lawn cotton to make a silky backing.

When the quilting proved to be really frustrating, Lori called for help. Ramona suggested we hand quilt it -old fashioned bee style- at our sewing event for the guild today.
So many beautiful friends joined in and the quilt was almost entirely finished in one day. It was a magical thing to be a part of and we sent Yolanda photos, even as we were working on it.
I promise to send finish pics when Lori finishes the binding and photographs it.
In the meantime, a huge thank you to the following AMAZING women who have all made this gift possible:
Lori, Alison, Rosanna, Kelly, Janice, Nicole, Melissa, Natalie, Katie, Blossom, Ramona, Rhonda, Jennifer, Maria, and Alissa.
I literally get tears in my eyes thinking about how beautifully wonderful this gift is going to be. I can't wait to see it in her arms.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so deeply touched, and not one bit surprised. I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times again...the LAMQGers are THE BESTEST on the planet. So wonderful, so giving, so generous, so loving, so helpful.

If all of the love and prayers that are stitched into this quilt can transfer over to Yolanda's body, she'll be healed in an instant! :)

nappygal said...

I'm so sorry I missed the hand quilting today :-(. However, I get happy tears knowing so much love is coming Yolanda's way.

Anonymous said...

This quilt embodies what I think sewing is all about- bringing people together. This is why women have been sewing for so many years. You have a very beautiful spirit, Liberty.

Unknown said...

That looks like such magic. Go all of you! LOVE our guild.

msalleycat said...

It's going to look fantastic in Yolanda's newly-swimming-pool-blue-painted bedroom....but I knew it would be fantastic, becuase of the amazing women in this group. I am so lucky to know and create with all of you!

Mama Spark said...

This looks great Liberty!! Wish I could have been a part of it too. Yolanda should have both Chase and Daniel's quilts. Are there any more that need work done?

Followers

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails